Uechi Ryu Karate Do.
In the early 1920s, like so many Okinawans seeking a better life, Kanbun Uechi had moved to mainland Japan and was domiciled in Tebira Township, in Wakayama Prefecture, and was working for the Hi No Maru textile company.
His mastery of the martial arts, so long hidden, came to light during a dispute with gangsters who preyed on the Okinawan community, and he became a civic leader as a result. Returning to Okinawa after WWII, his son Kanei built a powerful organization based on his father’s teachings of Uechi Ryu with the assistance of Ryuryu Tomoyose and Saburo Uehara the latter’s most famous student was Shinyu Gushi Sensei.
While Uechi Ryu Karate Do has clearly has been influenced by Chinese martial arts, it is not readily identifiable as one style or another. More likely it is built upon elements drawn from a variety of disciplines combined by the genius of Kanbun Uechi into one of the most effective Okinawan unarmed fighting methods that is effective for competition as it is for self defense.
Uechi Ryu Karate Do enthusiasts are well-known for the severe body condition they undergo and the ability to break hard objects as a result. The ability to take heavy blows without apparent effect, makes them formidable opponents. Their striking techniques with the single knuckle fist and kicking techniques in which a well condition big toe is used to violently strike the opponent’s groin, demand respect!
• Available in calligraphy styles Kaisho (semi-formal) and Gyosho (cursive style). When you order please choose the position of the embroidery on the left chest of the jacket or on the lower lapel of the jacket above the manufacturer’s label. If you have a special requirement please call us on 818 889 3856. Please see here
• Our designs are hand-digitized by our own staff, stitch by stitch. They are then under-sewn through a special backing material before the design is completed using heavy-duty Japanese industrial sewing machines.
• We use only the highest quality materials from manufacturers in Japan and Germany.
• Our service is fast and accurate: we normally ship within 7–10 days of receipt of your order, often much sooner.
• Guaranteed accurate FREE Japanese translations and no “set up” charges saving you as much as $65 per uniform. More about translations here
• We use ONLY Grade A German Dacron thread in the colors: very red, traditional Japanese gold, jet black, platinum white, gold or silver luster, blue, navy or midnight blue, & brown.
• Custom design service: please call, 1 (818) 889-3856.
• FREE UNIFORM EMBROIDERY service up to a value of $15 per uniform. Please use the embroidery coupon when you check out. The majority of our designs cost just $15 so for purchasers of new Meijin uniforms, it’s FREE